Jewelry Care Instructions

Why does jewelry tarnish?

Have you ever wondered why your rings have left behind green or black markings on your fingers? This is due to discoloration of the jewelry, from a chemical reaction with oxygen and sulfur particles in the air.

It is inevitable to not expose our jewelry to AIR - however, this is how different types of jewelry begin to tarnish over time. When copper, zinc, sterling silver and other metals are exposed to air, a built up tarnished layer appears resulting in the green color due to corrosion. 

We have provided care instructions below to help store and clean your jewelry properly! 

When to remove jewelry:

  • When in contact with any water or excess moisture
  • While cleaning - Avoid household cleaners
  • If in direct sunlight for long periods of time
  • When applying make-up, using lotions, sprays or hairspray (Put your jewelry on LAST)
  • While exercising - Avoid moisture and humidity 
  • While taking a bath / shower 
  • While swimming

Many cosmetics and household cleaners contain chemicals that may cause certain particles of the metal to rub off over time. Removing your rings before and washing your hands after any activities listed above will help prevent deterioration of your jewelry!

 

How To Store / Clean Your Jewelry:

Without proper and regular cleaning, it will be harder to keep your jewelry close to its original form. We have listed below how we recommend cleaning, maintaining and storing your pieces! 

  • Keep your jewelry out of the bathroom/shower area, steam room in gym/spa, etc. The moisture in the air can cause silver to tarnish quickly
  • Keep in a cool, dry place
  • Clean jewelry regularly and wipe off residue with a soft polishing cloth after each use
  • Use an air tight container / Airtight Ziploc bag for storage / Small pouch / Lined jewelry box
  • Try to store pieces separately
  • Use anti-tarnish strips inside container used to store jewelry
  • Do not store jewelry on wood surfaces. Natural wood contains acids which may or may not react with your jewelry. 

 

- Sterling Silver Jewelry

Pure silver in its rare form is a valuable metal that is too soft and fragile to use for jewelry. Due to this, it is mixed with different metals to create jewelry that is more durable. With these mixed together, the jewelry has more strength and is also less likely to become scratched or easily damaged. 

Sterling Silver is an alloy of silver which typically has a silver content of 92.5% by weight, while the other 7.5% includes the other metals. Copper is one of the most commonly used alloys with silver. 

Cleaning Instructions:

Light tarnish: soap + water - mix together in a bowl and wash jewelry by hand (DO NOT SCRUB).

Medium tarnish: baking soda + water - creates a paste to put on a cloth or small bristled toothbrush to gently clean your jewelry.

Heavy tarnish: white vinegar + baking soda - mix approximately 1/2 cup of white vinegar, and 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda in a cup or bowl - soak rings for an hour - rinse & pat dry.

When finished, use a sterling silver polishing cloth to dry your jewelry

Even though your jewelry can tarnish over time, wear it OFTEN! The oils in our skin help clean and protect the silver naturally. 

 

Gold Plated Jewelry

Gold plated jewelry may begin to tarnish, fade or become dirty after a while. However, there are ways to take care of your jewelry properly to prolong its original form/look.

Cleaning Instructions:

Gently wipe ring clean with a polishing cloth. Do not press hard when polishing or you may cause damage to the surface. Keep away from water or excess moisture / steam. Protect jewelry from scratches, chemicals, extreme temperatures and long periods in sunlight. Store jewelry in a dark, cool environment in a jewelry box, airtight bag / container.

 

- Zinc Alloy Care 

Zinc alloy is a very common material used to make different types of jewelry. Like many other metals, zinc alloy is prone to tarnishing and discoloration over time. To prevent this, there are ways to take care of your jewelry to maintain its original form for a longer period of time.  

Cleaning Instructions:

To clean a piece the piece of your choice, we recommend using a household toothpaste that is of a non-gel variety. You can lather a soft-bristled toothbrush to get into grooves or to scrub thicker areas of build up. Rinse thoroughly when finished to make sure no paste / residue is left behind, then pat dry with a polishing cloth. 

 

Pre-loader