Jasper is a term used to describe an opaque variety of a mineral called Chalcedony. Chalcedony is a form of Quartz that is compact and micro-crystalline. Since it often contains many "impurities", it is often regarded as a stone instead of a crystal. It occurs in many different forms, colors, and patterns, and many varieties have been used as gemstones since antiquity. When Jasper is dull and lacking interesting colors or patterns, it is not Jasper but is called Chert.
Different Varieties of Jasper
As mentioned above, there are MANY different variations of Jasper from its form, to its colors and patterns. These are the main varieties:
- Imperial Jasper - found in beautiful combinations of pale earthy tones of mossy greens, pink, brown, and cream
- Zebra Jasper - typically white with black stripes, but it also comes in color variations like green, red and brown with white stripes.
- Yellow Jasper - variations range from a vibrant yellow to a deep tan color.
- Red Jasper - is the most popular form of Jasper displaying deep hues of red.
- African Jasper - is often found in beautiful combinations of vibrant blue and green, similar to turquoise.
- Picture Jasper - has extraordinary banding or veining which is created by silicate or petrified mud.
Healing Properties of Jasper
Jasper is said to be the "Supreme Nurturer", calming inner anger and promoting tranquility. Even though Jasper comes in a variety of colors, its effect is still the same. It is said to create a strong grounding energy for stability and nurtures courage and wisdom. The different "impurities" mixed with the Jasper also offer different sought after metaphysical properties, most commonly small spots of Tourmaline within the stones that encourage positive attitudes, good luck and happiness.
Handmade Natural Jasper Wrap Bracelet!
The natural energy radiating from Jasper is said to uplift and nourish all aspects of your being to inspire and encourage you to change your lifestyle for the better. Often used in jewelry such as bracelets, earrings and necklaces, Jasper has been a popular choice of gemstones since ancient times.